Wednesday 12 November 2008

There's only one place to watch Owls tonight



Chickie and Pete's will host a large Cherry and White contingent tonight in South Philly.
By Mike Gibson
Finding the right bar in which to watch Temple football is an art form.
That's because there's a sizeable segment of the population in Philly who thinks you, me and the few thousand other Owl fans are nutjobs for getting all worked up over Temple football.
In every bar in Philadelphia where I can convince the bartender to put the Temple game on, I'm met with derisive yells like: "Florida (vs.) Georgia is on so why are we watching the Temple game?"
That was actually yelled at me several times by an extremely drunk gentleman during the Navy game at a place called Graham's Pub in Roxborough.
"Excuse me," I said, "are Florida and Georgia located in Philadelphia?"
"Let the man watch his Temple game," another drunk gentleman said.
"Let the man watch his Temple game," another drunk gentleman said.

I've had to deal with this stuff all my life, that's why it burns me up when a stupid move like not punting costs us a game, any game.
Tonight will be the first Wednesday night Temple football game in history, but it will be hard to find on your home television (or even computer) if you get either service through the Comcast monopoly. That's because Comcast and ESPN have a major feud going on that only Comcast and ESPN executives can really understand.
The loser in all of this isn't Comcast or ESPN.
It's you and me, the consumer.
That's why we have to go on a Safari now just to find a TV that has a Temple game.
I've found at least one television that has the Kent State game on and it's in South Philly. The one (maybe only) place to be is Chickie and Pete's on Pattison Avenue near the stadium complex.
That's because they'll be a sizeable contigent of Owl fans like you and me.
A support group for addiction, like AA.
Except in this one, drinking is advised.

No comments:

Post a Comment